Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Real Problem

I always thought that there were plagues on society that degraded from our happiness and infringed on our way of life. You know, things like drugs, burglars, jihad, Hillary Clinton, etc. etc. What I didn't realize was that I've been overlooking the obvious problem. Surely, it can explain so much...

Miss Brazil is missing. Poof! Gone! And what have the super sleuths in San Palo come up with? It's almost too good to be true. (However, I saw Turista so I'm not willing to chuckle just yet.) I think that when someone is missing for six months, you can probably chalk them up as dead. I'm not a trained professional, but dead is where I think a large degree of consideration should lay. (I also saw Man on Fire, so it is sounding more credible as I type this.)

Aside from the fact that the former, now-AWOL Miss Brazil took her place on the throne because the winner of the pagent was married, I think the entire situation, although involving human life, possesses a large degree of...strangeness and macabre humor.

So, what is it that led me chuckle? The police in Brazil are considering all of their options as they explore possible avenues which may lead to her whereabouts. This includes human trafficking. Well, it's either that or perhaps she's in Belgium. Some things are too good to be made up.

Yet another reason I will never go to South America. Besides Hugo Chavez, the police work anywhere south of Texas, which is suspect, at best is the single largest reason I will never travel down there. In a world that is truly comprised of haves and have nots there is too much room for error. There are too many places to disappear and apparently too many human traffickers.

What is the going rate on a thirty-something white male? Surely Kathy Lee isn't going to hire me to run one her sweat shops, but I am curious as to the price one might get for me on the open market. Aside from "not much", I don't actually care to find out. But, really?!?! Is it that big of a problem that we actually offer it as a solution to a missing persons case?

Hey buddy! Want a watch?

No thanks. Do you have a 25 year-old Brazilian woman in your coat? I really need me one of them.


Is it really a problem? Of course, she could be in Belgium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home