Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sometimes, I just feel like it.

I like to write. Somtimes, I just feel like it. It is my secret passion. It is the one avenue of self-expression that I feel I've always been able to trust. Sometimes I write for myself and sometimes I write things to be shared with others. I think it is rare that one can express themselves as clearly in any form of communication as they can in writing. However, writing has its pitfalls, too. It is extremely hard to expel the appropriate level of emotion and sometimes the interpretive power of the reader can cause them to miss the point altogether. Sometimes, people enter preconceived notions that block the true message from ever being delivered. Sometimes, people try to figure out what theyre reading so deeply that they miss the simplest of messages.

I like to make people think. I hope that I, occassionally, inspire thought and self-reflection. I'd like to think that someone may read something I write and, in turn, see goodness in themself.

I can tell you this: Stephen King is not a murderer. Newsflash, huh? You don't try to figure out why he writes the bizarre things he writes, you just enjoy it. Well, I bring this up to say that you can't always try to figure out where something is coming from. Think about where it is intended to go. It works well with fiction. But, in this modern world of blogging, everyone is turning into Stephen Hawking. So, I suggest that we just read what is offered and leave the "I wonder why..." out of it. Chances are, you will never figure it out. You will just make inaccurate assumptions and tarnish the writing.

I do also realize that my incessant diatribes are largely only entertaining to me, and I'm fine with that. However, I've received some interesting comments and feedback and it is primarily a mix of things, to include guesses or observations about why I am writing. And, for the record, no one has figured any of it out yet. Well, eye wtinesses not withstanding.

When I write, it usually comes from somewhere. There is usually an underlying experience, emotion or influence that inspires me. However, that is just the beginning. From that moment on, my thought process takes over. What you may read, depending on if I share it with others, is an analysis of the initial motivation. It is a written expression meant purely to invoke thought. It is simply something that I thought, consciously or unconsciously, was pretty profound; I thought enough about it that I thought through it to the rudimentary who, what, where, when and why of it and how it applies to other people or situations. See, I dont want anyone to figure out why I am writing. If I did, then I'd just tell a story. I'd like people to think about what they're reading and what it means to them, not me. I wrote it, who cares what I think? What do you think?

I probably should have told you that this was going to be a complete waste of your time from the beginning, but sometimes, I just don't feel like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home