Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Best Things In Life Are Free

The Vixen and I are having a series proud parent moments. Boorish are those who mire you in stories about how great their kids are, but I thought this one was special.

Last week, on the eve of "winter break" (aka - Christmas Break for those of us anti-Nazi's that respect Christmas as an actual holiday), the Princess brought home 80-some-odd Christmas projects she had completed at school. I think they started on them when the first Christmas decorations went up. Right after Labor Day. Or, is it the day after Halloween?

Two in particular caught our attention. On two separate occasions the kids were, apparently, asked to write a list for Santa and this is what she wrote (I am paraphrasing, of course):

"I want a doll house for my sister because that is what she likes to play with."

"I want a truck for my brother because that will make him happy."

No Princess, it is your parents who are happy. I know this seems sappy to some, but I find it remarkable that a 7 year old would ask for toys for her siblings instead of a selfish desire. She is a beautiful little person. (I hope I don't screw her up too bad.)

Saturday, I was helping the Vixen out with a little cooking project as shopping ran long in the holiday madness. She asked me if I could roll the meat balls she made for the WORLD'S GREATEST SPAGHETTI. As I was trying my hardest not to man it up, screw it up that is, the Princess asked me if I've ever seen meat balls.

"Of course I have", I replied.

"No daddy, when you were little did you ever see red meat balls?"

"You mean before they were cooked?"

"Yeah silly!"

Trying not to laugh I said, "well, my grandmother used to make meat balls all the time, so, yeah, I saw them when I was a little boy."

"Oh, you mean your grandma....uh, what was her name? I keep forgetting it."

(Bear in mind, the kids never met my grandmother; they have just heard some stories from me; she passed away in 1988.)

"My Grandma Georgia."

"Yeah. Is she dead?"

"Yes sweetie, she dies a long time ago; before you were born."

"I bet she is smiling at you in heaven right now."

"No sweetie, I think she's smiling at you."

Tears started to well up in her young, innocent eyes and she just sat there smiling at me, watching me roll meat balls. I thought I was going to start crying, or laughing, right then and there. A heart of gold this little angel of ours has, just like her mother.

Corny perhaps, but, damn, did I feel proud.

I hope she's smiling on us all, Princess. I hope she's smiling on us all...

Merry Christmas.

4 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said...

Sharing stories about how your kid is better than other kids can be obnoxious, but that is not at all what you did here. These stories are beautiful! Makes me want to give up this party thing and have some of my own ;-)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger PseudoIntellect said...

The grass is always greener, or so they say. Only when you look down at your feet and see the plush, green lawn do you realize the truest blessings in life.

I know I drive the Vixen nuts at times with my sarcastic, yet neurotic, attitude, but I can tell you that I truly am a lucky, lucky man.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger PseudoIntellect said...

Humor is the best medicine, but even a sarcastic soul, like me, can be semi-serious from time to time!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Karen said...

i love it when guys get sappy. That was an awesome post. Your daughter sounds like an angel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home